Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Book Despiser

He took away all his books

just 'cause they reminded him of me.

And I don't know why he did so,

since knowledge has no fault,

since literature is not concerned

with the casualties of love.

I imagine him recriminating Shakespeare

and his squared shape for the miserable

memories of a broken heart.

Isn't Shakespeare himself a broken-hearted,

a crying spirit through Hamlet's pages?

Oh, Shakespeare is faultless

about the penances of love.

Don't blame the naiveness of a book

for spelling, ghosts, ghosts, my name

in fiction and action, in words

of passion. My own leisure, my odd

passion became your exile to memories.

And all characters in them, words printed

in different typographies,

you make them flee to the

miserable condemnation of

dust.

I don't wanna imagine

what would have happened

if his dog had reminded him of me.

Thank God I don't look like one.//

No comments: